I like to think that I was well ahead of the “no makeup makeup” look that’s trending right now. The truth is that I’m downright terrified of my makeup drawer.
What’s so scary about makeup? Mainly, I don’t have the slightest idea what I’m doing. I grew up with brothers and a hippie mom. Everything I’ve learned about makeup I’ve learned by trial and error after watching a YouTube video. (Not kidding.)
So unless I’m scheduled to meet the Queen, I pretty much use the same few products every day. The nice thing about that is that I have the application process down to a science. Five minutes. No more, no less.
- Lancome Bienfait Teinte BB Cream – I love that this BB Cream has SPF 30 and just enough coverage to make it look like I tried at life today. I usually wear shade Naturel 3 but I find that it blends so nicely that even if I have a little bit fo a tan, it always looks, as the name would indicate, natural.
- Milani Baked Blush – Just a few minutes of research will prove that this Baked Blush by Milani has a cult following. I’m not expert, but the color “Luminoso” makes me look like I worked out and had a green juice this morning before work. (For the record, this is never true, but I’m happy to let strangers imagine it is.)
- Maybelline Brow Drama Pomade Crayon – I thoroughly appreciate the insinuation that a beauty crayon is for the absolute beginner. If there’s an easy way to get the job done, I’m interested, and this crayon measures up. With a few light strokes my brows actually start to frame my face and don’t just disappear behind my glasses. (For the record, I have pretty good brows, they are just blonde and hard to see. If you have particularly thin brows, I don’t know if the crayon shape will be the right tool.)
- BareMinerals 5 in 1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow – While I’m not sure what’s “advanced” about this eyeshadow, I can tell you that it’s super easy to apply to your lid with your finger. Looks like they don’t carry the Candlelit Peach shade that I really like any longer, but all the shades offer a hint of color that helps you look a bit more put together.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise – This is the best waterproof mascara that I’ve ever tried. Something about the brush makes your lashes look huge and long without much effort at all. And yes, I wear waterproof every day because I can’t stand coming out of hot yoga looking like a raccoon.
- Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lip Color – This liquid lip in the shade “Seduction” is the absolute perfect nude for me. I wear it almost every day just to add a tiny bit of color. I love that the color really doesn’t budge. Just swipe it on, smack your lips for the effect and you’re walking out the door. Plus, there’s very little transfer, which my husband really appreciates.
One reason that I love each and every one of these products is because they leave me feeling like me. None of them is heavy enough, harsh enough, or bold enough to make me feel like I’m hiding behind some kind of mask. They simply help me look like a better version of myself.